CDSS News Issues
The CDSS News is a print publication and, in a slightly shorter format, an online publication. Below are articles and other material from the most recent issues. We hope you find it informative, thought-provoking, and entertaining. Please contact us if you have comments or questions.
Our Upcoming Events calendar of workshops, balls, special events, weeks, and weekends throughout North America, is only available online. There is no charge for a simple listing (date, event name, town/state, sponsoring group's name, contact info); send to email@example.com.
To submit letters, articles, dances, tunes and songs for possible publication, send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about advertising (print edition only) is here. To receive the printed newsletter as a benefit of CDSS membership, join here.
All material in the CDSS News is copyrighted by CDSS, the individual author or the original publication and may not be reproduced--other than for personal use--without permission. Views expressed represent those of the authors and not necessarily of CDSS.
CDSS News Spring 2018
Letters and Announcements
- Marketing Tips—Old School News Releases Still Work, by Lisa C. Brown and David N. Boyer, Country Dancers of Rochester
- Balance and Sing (Store Update)
- CDSS Sings — The Cowboy, by Martha Burns
Listen to Glenn Ohrlin sing the song at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv0bx6csjbc
- Tell Me More — Hombey House, by Graham Christian
- Outreach Far and Wide—News from CDSS Grant Recipients in Karlsruhe, Germany, and Hindman, Kentucky
- Wild Rose Garland Continues the Tradition, by Mikki Tint
- Running Behind: Rush to Catch Up or Not?, by Laura Brodian Freas Beraha
- Atossa's Gift—English Country Dance by Scott Higgs; tune (Love for Three Generations) by Clara Byom (see links below)
Watch Katy German call the dance at Berea Christmas School, December 2017: https://www.facebook.com/john.newsome.399/videos/10215667547627101/
- Lighter Than Air —Waltz Circle Mixer by Susan English; tune (Lighter Than Air Waltz) by Daniel Engle
- Caroline's Stellar Stomp—Contra Dance by Wendy Graham; tune (Eleanor's Jig) by Adam Nordell of Sassafras Stomp
Caroline’s Stellar Stomp set to Sassafras Stomp’s Eleanor’s Jig played by Uncle Farmer at Stellar Days & Nights: https://www.facebook.com/perkypantsdance/videos/1649223015154751/
- Back Cover (photos by Jeffrey Bary, Doug Plummer, Carl Friedman, and Simon Chambers)
CDSS News Winter 2017-18
Letters and Announcements
Jubilee – sung by Jean Ritchie
Gypsy Davy - sung by Woody Guthrie
The Gypsy Laddies - Sung by Jeannie Robertson
- Yoga for Dancers — Yoga Esoterica on the Dance Floor, by Anna Rain
The concepts for the work in this column build on the structures practiced in these previous columns:
Fall 2017: Descend; Ascend; Broaden; Soften: Strengthen the Muscles that Lift Your Torso
Fall 2016: Float the Floating Ribs and An Altar for the Heart
- Tell Me More — Cottey House, by Graham Christian
Song to the Moon recorded at Winter Dance Week at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC, with music by Foxfire and instructions/prompting by David Millstone:
- The Dancernot, by Steve Green
- Back Cover (photo by Doug Plummer)
An ad for the 2018 Binghamton (NY) Ball & Sunday Brunch was slated to run in the Winter 2017-2018 issue but was unintentionally left out. Please see the ad here. We apologize most sincerely for this error.
There were three ads in the issue that were submitted to CDSS with inadvertent errors. Though it is not our practice to proofread submitted ads, we apologize for not catching these mistakes before press time.
- The Lenox Assembly ad on page 27 has the wrong dates and information. Please see the corrected ad.
- The When In Doubt, Swing ad on page 28 has Erik Ievins name spelled incorrectly. Please see the corrected ad.
- The Portland Raindance ad on page 26 has an incorrect spelling of the band name Latter Day Lizzards. Please see the corrected ad.
In the printed issue, Melanie Axel-Lute's name was incorrectly printed as Melanie Axel-Lute Becket and the dance formation for each dance was omitted. The PDF of her dances has been corrected and is linked above. We sincerely apologize for the error.