Uncategorised Article Count: 54
Home Article Count: 1
About Article Count: 20
New and Noteworthy Article Count: 3
Governing Board Article Count: 32
Support & Services Article Count: 11
Outreach Article Count: 6
CDSS News & Publications Article Count: 5
CDSS Online Library Article Count: 5
CDSS News Article Count: 17
CDSS News Issues Article Count: 17
The CDSS News is a print publication and, in a slightly shorter format, an online publication. Below are articles and other material from the most recent issues. We hope you find it informative, thought-provoking, and entertaining. Please contact us if you have comments or questions.
Our Upcoming Events calendar of workshops, balls, special events, weeks, and weekends throughout North America, is only available online. There is no charge for a simple listing (date, event name, town/state, sponsoring group's name, contact info); send to email@example.com.
To submit letters, articles, dances, tunes and songs for possible publication, send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about advertising (print edition only) is here. To receive the printed newsletter as a benefit of CDSS membership, join here.
All material in the CDSS News is copyrighted by CDSS, the individual author or the original publication and may not be reproduced--other than for personal use--without permission. Views expressed represent those of the authors and not necessarily of CDSS.
Dance and Music Camps Article Count: 0
General Article Count: 8
Facilities Article Count: 0
Schedule and Fees Article Count: 16
Registration Article Count: 12
Current Camp Weeks Article Count: 12
Camp Week Archives Article Count: 117
Current Staff Article Count: 123
Following are bios of current camp staff; more will be added as they become available.
Archived Staff Article Count: 205
Current Class Descriptions Article Count: 8
Archive Class Descriptions Article Count: 22
Galleries Article Count: 11
Camp Week decsriprion Article Count: 8
Schedule Article Count: 9
Camp details Article Count: 16
Community Article Count: 7
BENEFITS OF INDIVIDUAL/FAMILY MEMBERSHIP
As a member of CDSS, you'll receive the benefits listed below and join the more than 3,000 people who are supporting our dance and music community.
- CDSS News — quarterly newsletter packed with interesting articles, tunes, dances,...
- Group Directory — compilation of groups that sponsor dance and music events
- Members' List — access to members' contact info via our web site (per their privacy preferences)
- Camp priority — priority admission to our summer camp programs
- Discount — 10% discount on items from the CDSS store
- Voice — members have a voice in the governance of CDSS
- Liability insurance — members are eligible for Callers' Liability Insurance
- Free Fractured Atlas Associate Membership — Any CDSS member can become an Associate Member of Fractured Atlas for free and take advantage of the services they offer. Fractured Atlas is a nonprofit group that serves arts organizations nationwide. Services available to CDSS members include access to health insurance, online courses to help with fundraising, marketing and other business topics, access to their calendar, and special offers and discounts. Learn more about Fractured Atlas.
- Children's Music Network, our new non-profit partner! The Children's Music Network celebrates the positive power of music in the lives of children by sharing songs, exchanging ideas, and creating community. Both organizations are excited about the opportunities that this partnership offers to all our members, and about our shared commitment to the value of participatory arts.
CDSS members can register for the CMN conferences and receive a $30 discount allowing you to register at the CMN Member rate. When you register enter the special PROMO Code: CDSS. That's easy! Additional, if you decide to become a member of CMN at that time, you would receive an additional $30 savings. Learn more about CMN and its members at www.cmnonline.org.
INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY MEMBERSHIP RATES
Your membership, at whatever level, provides critical support for our efforts to support traditional dance, music and song communities.You are welcome to define any household as a "family" if that seems true to you.
Lifetime Contribution Awards Article Count: 15
Year of Song Article Count: 35
Join us each month in song!
CDSS designated 2016 our Year of Song. We chose it for two reasons: to honor the start of Cecil Sharp and Maud Karpeles’ prolific folk song collecting in southern Appalachia (1916-1918), and to look at how song serves CDSS's mission. This examination also begins a cycle of focusing on one or two genres at a time, as we identify community needs and allow for better use of our resources.
Our Song of the Month feature has been so well received that we decided to make it a permanent part of the website. You'll find an archive of these songs below as well as new ones being posted in the months to come.
CDSS’s song traditions are based primarily in the English and Anglo-American traditions — folk songs, ballads, sea shanties, rounds, songs with choruses. We also include spirituals, work songs, country harmony, African call and response, shape note and gospel, contemporary a cappella, and new arrangements of traditional songs. Our special emphasis is on community singing.
Lorraine Hammond, CDSS Board member and Song Task Group Chair, spearheaded our Year of Song efforts and oversaw 2016’s song selections. Judy Cook took on that role in 2017, and will be continuing through 2018. Our thanks to them both as well as to Lynn Nichols of the CDSS staff for shepherding them to our website.
Ways to Give Article Count: 7
Conferences Article Count: 2
Join/Renew Article Count: 12
Centennial Article Count: 2
Spread the Joy Article Count: 4
Community100 Article Count: 7
What we believe Article Count: 6
Your testimonies on the importance of dance, music and song in your life. Submit your own story here.
Stories From Camp Article Count: 4
Local Heroes Article Count: 68
Welcome to the CDSS celebration of "Local Heroes!" These are people who quietly *make things happen* for everyone else. And we want to give every community in our dance/music/song universe the opportunity to recognize and thank them, publicly, with joyful gratitude. Scroll down to read the wonderful stories and testimonies that have been coming in from all over the place - the locations of the local heroes are shown in the map on the right. Click here for a larger version of the map
We hope you're inspired to recognize someone in your own community. Share a story about your own local hero here!