Yesterday brought a veritable flurry of exciting new developments in the world of folk song and music:
- Alan Lomax’s Massive Archive Goes Online.
Interesting article by NPR, with photos. This new material from from Alan Lomax’s independent archive has been digitized and preserved by the Association for Cultural Equity, and is distinct from his earlier collection at the American Folklife Center.
- Youth Traditional Song Weekend.
This new group on Facebook announces “a youth-focused (though not youth-exclusive) weekend for young singers and aspiring leaders in the trad song community. The first YTS is tentatively scheduled for January 2013, somewhere in the Northeast.
- How Communal Singing Disappeared from American Life (And why we should bring it back).
Interesting article in yesterday’s the Atlantic. “Any singing is good singing. Anywhere we can find it.”
- The story of the March calendar page
- Doug has posted this blog article about the March page of his contra dance calendar, which features the historic dance in Nelson NH.