Folk Sing Starter Kit
We believe shared singing is great fun and builds and strengthens community and self expression. We want singing to be a greater part of our daily lives. We hope that this document gives you ideas and resources to help you clearly envision and set up the group singing situation you prefer.
This guide contains the following sections:
- What Is a Folk Sing? — What this guide covers, what makes group singing fun
- Envisioning Your Event — Questions to ask yourself to get started, event format ideas
- Finding a Venue — Public venues, private venues, accessibility & transportation
- Publicity — How are you going to get the word out?
- How Will Your Sing Work? — Possible structures/procedures, facilitating, group dynamics
- Song Resources — Web sites, sheet music, sound files, books & recordings, podcasts, history
Julia Friend and Nicole Singer want to thank these folks for contributing content and suggestions:
Chris Bracken, Ulrike Brauneis, Dennis Cook, Judy Cook, Alan Friend, Rosalie Friend, Chloe Maher, Liz Minler, Rick Mohr, Justin Morrison, Talitha Phillips, Scott Prouty, Ken Schatz, Charmaine Slaven, Natty Smith, Stefan Read, Jenni Voorhees, Heather Wood.
If you'd like to suggest an addition to this guide, please email Julia Friend.