Square Dance Resources
Welcome to the CDSS Square Dance Resources web guide! The purpose of this guide is to provide access to a varied, interesting, and informative set of web-based resources on square dance.
This guide contains the following sections:
- What Is Square Dancing? — A friendly intro
- Styles — Overview of six major categories of American squares
- History — Links to articles and websites focused on square dance history
- Caller Resources — Advice and commentary, dance figures, reference sites
- Organizations — Proponents of square dancing in the US and Canada
- Traditional Groups — Local groups in the US that promote or host traditional squares
- Traditional Callers — Directory of traditional square dance callers
- Video & Audio — Video of events from the 1940s to today, video/audio of specific dance figures
Note to MWSD aficionados: Many available resources focus especially on Modern Western Square Dance traditions; see our page about Organizations to explore some of those avenues.
I would like to thank Bob Dalsemer, Tony Parkes, and David Millstone for their input in the development of this guide. Their expertise is invaluable, and they have helped me understand and portray the rich story of American square dance in much deeper way than I would have been able to without their assistance.
Thanks for visiting!
CDSS American Dance Publications