July 28 - August 4, 2012
American Dance & Music Week at Pinewoods promises to be a wonderful week of dancing, music, singing and good times with friends old and new. We've assembled a fabulously talented, multi-generational staff who will offer a wide range of exciting classes in music, dance and song. Combine the stellar program with the wonderful facilities, delicious food and natural beauty of Pinewoods Camp, plus a dynamic group of Campers, and this will be a week not to be missed.
This year we're encouraging the impulse to improvise, to compose, to goof around and to infuse traditional forms with new ideas. Classes like contra choreography, tune writing, musical improvisation, lindy hop and blues dancing offer the chance to express your creativity while engaging with traditional styles. Late afternoons include open time and space for camper-organized activities with staff members available to participate as needed. Want to have a slow jam? Go for it. Shape Note singing? Awesome. Open-mic with camper musicians? Let's do it.
The daily schedule includes something for everyone at American Week this year:
- Dancers will find ample opportunities to contra and square dance day and night to some of the best callers and musicians on the scene, hone dance skills and partner connection in the Blues and Lindy Hop classes with Josh Van Vliet and Tresne Hernandez, and sample other set and couple dances in the Potpourri session.
- Callers can enroll in Lisa Greenleaf's popular and intensive Contra Dance Callers Course (pre-registration required) and explore the art of choreography with Rick Mohr in the afternoon.
- Musicians can learn the craft of tune-writing and arranging from Crowfoot, explore improvisation with Anna and Will Patton, learn technique and repertoire in classes with Ruthie Dornfeld, Dave Wiesler and Adam Broome, and participate in jams throughout the week.
- Singers will love working with Suzannah Park to explore Appalachian Ballads and 2, 3 and 4-part Harmony singing repertoire.
- Everyone can enjoy staff mini-concerts and participate with jokes, songs and silly games at afternoon Gathering, hosted by the hilarious and bodacious Jesse Edgerton.
The whole camp community comes together for evening dance parties featuring contra, square and couples dancing, with calling and music by the staff listed above as well as Jeremiah McLane, Owen Marshall, Ethan Hazzard-Watkins, Nicholas Williams and Jaige Trudel. After the dance take a swim, relax in the Camphouse, join a jam session or rest up for tomorrow's fun. We hope you'll join us for an exciting, dynamic, joyful, fun-filled week!
-- Ethan Hazzard-Watkins & Anna Patton, Program Co-directors
Ethan Hazzard-Watkins, Program Director
Anna Patton, Program Director
Josh Van Vliet
|7:45-8:15||Hot Breakfast served cafeteria style|
|8:15-8:45||Cold Breakfast Coffee/Tea available|
You, Everyone's Favorite Partner: Rick Mohr
Contra Dance Piano: Dave Wiesler
Guitar: Adam Broome
Contra Dance Callers Course (Pre registration): Lisa Greenleaf
Lindy Hop: Josh Van Vliet, Tresne Hernandez
Harmony Singing: Suzannah Park
Fiddle (Intermediate): Ruthie Dornfelds
|11:15-12:00||Swimming, Bookstore staffed, spaces available|
I Dare You Dances: Lisa Greenleaf
Blues Dancing: Josh Van Vliet, Tresne Hernandez
Composing and Arranging Tunes: Adam Broome, Nicholas Williams, Jaige Trudel
Let's Get Worked Up with Jesse's Favorite Dances: Jesse Edgerton
Love, Loss & Length - Ballad Singing: Suzannah Park
Musical Improvisation: Will Patton, Anna Patton
Writing Great Contra Dances: Rick Mohr
Gathering: Jesse Edgerton
Dance Potpourri: Dave Wiesler, Ruthie Dornfeld
Choose Your Own Adventure
|5:45-6:30||Swimming and Bookstore staffed|
|8:00-11:00||Evening Dance Party including a couple dance interlude|