Answers to your login questions
Creating and accessing your account
How can I create an account?
- If you're a CDSS member, you already have an account. If you're not sure how to access it, try requesting a password reset or contacting Christine in our office.
- If you're not a member yet, you're welcome to create an account on our site. Just follow the link to Create an account from our Login page, which is linked in the green navigation bar as well as on the top of the blue navigation box on the right side of every page.
What are the benefits of having an account on this site?
- CDSS receive a 10% member discount on merchandise in our online Store, but only when they're logged in.
- CDSS members also have access to our online Members Directory.
- Non-members who purchase items from our Store will experience a speedier checkout process if they create an account.
What should I use for my password?
- As with any web site or computer system, please select a reasonably secure password. You can find some good basic advice in this wiki-how article or this xkcd comic, among many other places. Our system requires that your password be a minimum of 8 characters.
My account won’t let me in – what do I do?
- If you've forgotten your username or password, you can request a password reset. This will email you your username and provide a link to let you set a new password. (If you've also lost track of what email address we have on file, you may need to ask us for help.)
- If you misspell your
username or password more than a limited number of times in a row, your
account will temporarily be suspended.
Wait a few minutes and try again.
- Please do not create an
additional login and password. Duplicate
accounts can result in limited access for you and extra work for us! If you are having trouble, let us know!
- To get help from a real person, contact Christine in our office.
What if I think I have more than one login?
- Please let us know. We are happy to merge duplicates - just let us know which login is the one you wish to keep! (If we find duplicates we will contact you)
Can I create a login for more than one person?
- Please don't. For security reasons and so that we can keep our databases synchronized, logins are designed to be for just one person. While it is possible to jury rig your names to include more than one person, we will ultimately split the names into separate records. We understand that not every person wants or needs to use a login, but it is currently the best way for us to keep your information correct - and protected.
What if I don’t have easy access to a computer?
- You are always welcome to
contact us with orders, address changes, or other comments or questions by mail
or phone. (See our office contact listing.) In particular, if you are
seeking contact information for another CDSS member, we are happy to provide
whatever that person has opted to share.
Maintaining your contact information
What can other people see about me?
- Other CDSS members who log in will see only what you have selected to share. On the Edit my account screen, at the bottom, there is a series of checkboxes where you can opt whether to share any of the following: your name, location, phone, email, website.
- Our current default is that your entire record is hidden -- including the fact that you are a member at all -- unless we have received your explicit permission to include your listing.
- Your information is safe from any access by non-members.
Why does my email address say email@example.com?
system requires an email address. In the case of some existing
CDSS members we do not have a valid email address on file but did not
want to leave you out of our online world. If you see this listed you are encouraged
to provide us with a valid email address, or you can leave the
firstname.lastname@example.org address as it is.
Using the Members Directory
What kind of usage is permitted?
- Use the Members Directory for personal reference to find others from the
CDSS community, from home or while you are traveling.
- Please do not use
it to harvest emails or addresses. Anyone doing so will be barred
Who can access the Directory?
- Only current paid CDSS members. If you are not a member, or if your membership
lapses, you will not have access to the Members Directory.
I know my friends are members, why aren't they on the list?
- Our current default is that each member's entire record is hidden -- including the fact that s/he is a member at all -- unless we have received that person's explicit permission to include his/her listing.
- If you see someone who is missing, feel free to encourage them to "opt in!"
Both people in my household are members, why aren’t
we listed together?
- Our online world is not (yet) designed to
easily handle households of people in a secure fashion. At present, in order to best protect your data, every member has a separate listing.